Search This Blog

Friday, January 27, 2012

Race day

Day 85- FridayWake up at 4.45am. Have an hour and 45minutes until we need to leave for the race but my throat is sore and need a hot lemon drink so get up. Dinner was great last night and we will definitely be going back there. Had the perfect view of the fountains as well. Only problem was that it took 20 minutes to get our car back from valet parking. We are so spoilt in Dubai. Every time you go out it is pretty much to a 5 star hotel so there is always valet parking! When I went home for a friend's wedding last summer I was most put out when the hotel I was staying at didn't have valet parking! I was expected to walk from the car park to the entrance! The only problem with valet parking here is our car. We have a Ford Focus which is a car you would be pleased to have back home. In fact it is a better car than we did have back home! But out here it is rubbish compared to all the 4x4s, Ferraris and Bentleys! So we are always a bit embarrassed when the valet pulls up with our car!
When we arrive at the race it is packed. There is a really good good atmosphere. We are all dressed in our Beating Bowel Cancer t-shirts and caps and sashes. I realize that for the first time everyone will know why I am in a wheelchair (in my chair as there is quite a distance to walk and not sure if there will be seating). And I have to admit it is the first time I am embarrassed of my diagnosis. I was happy with people not knowing and thinking that I probably had something like MS. I know there is nothing to be ashamed about but suddenly I am aware of the stigma attached to bowel cancer and I can understand why people may not what to go to their doctor with symptoms. I feel awkward that people associate bowel cancer with bleeding from the bottom and diarrhea, and will therefore be thinking of me with these symptoms. I know these are stupid thoughts but they are very much there. In fact I can't relax properly until we are all sitting in the stand and without me being in my wheelchair you wouldn't know I was ill. Now we all look the same and look like we have just chosen a charity rather than one of us having the disease.
I am really proud of everyone who ran. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6LVI1gDswg
Everyone did really well and we had runners of all ages! Hopefully when all the sponsorship money is in we would have raised a good amount. Already it is over 2,500 pounds! Thank you again to everyone who has donated or ran. It means a lot to me to have this support and it helps put me in the right spirit for Sunday. I promise that when I am better I will train for a run- it may only be the 3km though as I was always more of a sprinter!

No comments:

Post a Comment